Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Warm Zone, Drop In for Women, Abbotsford BC

As I ascended the stairs into "The Warm Zone," I immediately began to feel relaxed and at home. It is a drop-in centre for women and every room is open. The women who access the centre walk around like they own it. Making themselves coffee in the kitchen, stepping out onto the patio for a smoke. You probably aren't surprised when I say the place is spotless.

The best room in the place is the meeting room. A long table surrounded by chairs fills it. You can see every person in the room and fit about 15 comfortably. I held a focus group there for a project I'm working on and I met some of the most incredible women. They were like family. It made me want to move to smaller community.

I would say that "The Warm Zone" is the most comfortable, welcoming, friendly drop-in centre I have ever been to. The women who run the program are down-to-earth, committed to their work, and clearly they are spectacular support workers. I was reluctant to leave when the session was over. It's a place I hope to visit again. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment