Sunday, September 26, 2010

Options Community Services Society, Surrey, BC

Despite my generally negative opinion of Sage Midwifery, I must thank one of the midwives there, Janine, from the bottom of my heart for connecting me with Options Community Services Society.

From the first phone call I received, I have had nothing but a wonderful and beneficial experience with them. The program that I am involved with is called "Healthiest Babies Possible" and it is offered to pregnant moms until their newborns are six months old.

Here are some of the reasons I highly recommend this organization (or at least this particular program within the organization):

  • They have a dietician on staff who makes house calls! This was a Goddess-send for me and my gluten intolerant family. I was particularly concerned about becoming pregnant only 6 months into my recovery from severe and debilitating gluten intolerance symptoms. The dietician came to my home and offered lots of advice - telling what I was doing right, what I could be doing better, and generally putting my concerns to rest. (Incidentally, the dietician who handled my file is also gluten intolerant, as is the woman who phoned me in the first place to ask what kinds of services I would be interested in. How convenient is that?!)
  • They provide free lunches in different locations throughout each month. During the free lunches, there is also a themed educational component and discussion period before lunch is actually served. Present at the lunches are dieticians, counsellors, nutritionists, and other worthwhile support people for pregnant mothers. The lunch is also very child friendly. I have been to one lunch so far. My over-active son was not once scolded by any participants or facilitators - much to my relief and enjoyment. My gluten intolerance was taken into consideration and an individual plate made for each my son and I that did not include items with gluten in them. Because we stayed until the end, we also got to take home leftovers -which for that particular week really saved my family. We were out of money and low on food. It couldn't have come at a better time. They also gave out $10 grocery cards - another much appreciated gift for my family during this time of struggle. The lunches also offer free baby clothes on site which I plan to take advantage of in the future, now that I know the sex of my unborn child. :)
  • I was assigned a "counsellor" who also makes house calls! This whole "house-call" thing is amazing for a busy single mom who has no gas in her car and is saving would-be bus fare for groceries. My counsellor (her name is Jill) is incredibly awesome. I didn't think I would need her for emotional support, but lo and behold, during a conversation about housing I became very emotional and poured my heart out to her. She was very understanding and helpful and she is doing all that she can to support my search for affordable housing. I love you, Jill!
  • Each home visit I've had, I was presented with informative pamphlets on subjects of interest to me pertaining to pregnancy. I've received forms for housing that I didn't know existed. And I have also been given...yes, another $10 grocery card. Because I am working now, I am saving up my gift cards for after the baby is born and finances are much scarcer. I cannot express the degree of gratitude I feel for this small but significant gesture. I go to the food bank but they do not have very much to offer that is gluten-free, so having the extra grocery money to accommodate my family's restricted diet is literally life-saving.
  • They call you to remind you of the lunches! I expressed that I would most likely attend the lunches that are closest to my house. Every two weeks, the day before that lunch is offered, I get a phone call from the organization reminding me. I think that is just such a wonderful and proactive service and I commend the organization for doing it.
  • They give me free prenatal vitamins and with a doctor's note about the low iron, I can also receive free iron supplements. If you have to buy iron supplements and you're low income, you'll know why I think this is so incredibly awesome. Iron is EXPENSIVE!
I'm sure I will think of more things to add to this review, but the general gist of it is - OPTIONS ROCKS! I have worked for many non-profit organizations and accessed many services through others, but never have I had the pleasure of participating in such a well-run, well-thought-out, compassionate, and truly beneficial program as this one. Kudos to the program creators. Your karma is secure. ;) xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment